Saturday, 9 August 2014

10 Years 10 Questions


World of Warcraft has been on the scene for quite some time now. This November will mark the tenth anniversary of the game. Tenth anniversary that can boast, that after all this time, the game still has close to seven million people subscribed. That is a worthy boast in my opinion, even if I do hope on a regular basis that somebody will come out of the woodwork, and force Blizzard to stop mucking around. Until that day comes, we have ten questions Alternative Chat wants us to answer. If you head over to her blog post, you will find further instructions of how you can take part in this. Seriously, it is easy and entertaining, and who does not like nostalgia? So why don't we just start then?

1. Why did you start playing Warcraft?
I played Warcraft III and Frozen Throne. I loved it. At first I had difficulty accepting that the orcs were green, eyes of the elves glowed, and that dwarves were using guns, but the concept eventually grew on me. In those two games there were so many memorable moments, like Uther's speech of what makes a Paladin, Arthas's murder of his father, Grom taking on the Cenarius, Thrall and Grom facing Mannoroth, Muradin warning Arthas about the cursed sword for the last time, Garithos's betrayal of the Blood Elves, Arthas's ascension to the Frozen Throne, Sylvanas and her quest for vengeance. I wanted to experience this wonderful world from my own perspective, not through the eyes of the heroes, but as one of the heroes. As one of those nameless soldiers that always stood by their side, and did their job without really getting any of the credit for it.

2. What was the first ever character you rolled?
When I first started playing, I played on an account I shared with my friend. I rolled a Blood Elf Paladin and named him Spartanus. The name was inspired by the research I did for school on Sparta. I would have rolled a warrior, but at the time Blood Elves were incapable of hitting anything while furious, thus I went for the second best thing at the time, the Paladin. I started as Protection, but because every shield was uglier than the last one, I respecced into Retribution. Later on, my friend and I parted ways, and I started playing on an account of my own. At that point I was already enamoured with the concept of Paladin in Warcraft, and thus I repeated the same thing once more, by creating my current main, Blood Elf Paladin called Astalnar.


3. Which factors determined your faction choice in game?
I wanted to be a Blood Elf. Also, my friends were already playing on the Horde side, so that helped making the choice easier. For the longest time, Blood Elves were my only choice. I could not stand other Horde races because of their back problems, while the races on the Alliance did not really convince me. They were "too generic", while draenei were just too weird.

4. What has been your most memorable moment in Warcraft and why?
My first venture in Karazhan. As I said before, I started from scratch somewhere in the middle of the expansion. When I finally leveled up to 70 the expansion was already nearing the end.  This Karazhan trip was half a guild run, half a pug. You know the type, one friend knows a friend whose friends in the guild are interested and so we soon had a  full group of awesome people. We made some astonishing progress, mostly thanks to others. This is where I got my Arcanite Ripper, the only axe that I cherish in the whole game. Even these days when I get the chance, I will take Arcanite Ripper out of my bag, and start entertaining the crowd.

5. What is your favourite aspect of the game and has this always been the case?
Questing. It will probably always be questing. When I reached max level for the first time I had my first existential crisis. I did not know what to do any more. I thought, this is it. I won. I finished the game, there is nothing else I can do to progress further. (this is what happens if you play only Asian F2P MMOs before) But then, after a week of break I took from the game, I came back, and continued where I stopped. I finished the quests, and got myself new ones. Questing, going on the adventure, exploring the lore, getting to know the story behind every expansion is what keeps it interesting for me.


6. Do you have an area in game that you always return to?
Eversong Woods. If there were portals, I'd have mine set in Silvermoon without a moment of hesitation. That zone is just beautiful. All other zones just pale in comparison. None of the zones has beautiful architecture, bright colours, verdant grass, white trees, golden leaves and spectacular sunsets. Eversong Woods stands out. In all these years there are in my opinion only a few that ever got close to its splendour. Talador on Draenor seem promising though. Oh what I would give to build a Thalassian Garrison in Talador...

7. How long have you /played and has that been continuous?
I have played since the Burning Crusade. That would be seven years. There were various breaks during that time. My longest period of playing was during the Wrath of the Lich King, the expansion I to this day still think of as the best World of Warcraft had. I had a long pause after the Cataclysm, as I just could not watch my beloved world all torn asunder, and I am on the break right now because there is no new content for almost a year.

8. Admit it: do you read quest text or not?
I do. But not immediately. I first just accept all the quests and then move out. While I am riding, I take the time to read them because there is nothing else to do on your way to the designated area anyway.


9. Are there any regrets from your time in game?
Yes, there are. Helping ungrateful people through Icecrown. I hate selfishness. I know I can be quite arrogant and selfish myself, but that is not how I act in group. If I sign up for something, I'm there to see it through, while others seem to think it is fine to leave the group as soon as they get all the achievements or loot they needed and/or wanted. Curses upon them, and may their armours break in thousand pieces until they are beyond repair.

10. What effect has Warcraft had on your life outside gaming?
There is one bad side of Warcraft, I read a lot less than I used to. This usually fixes itself while I am on the break, but otherwise it cannot really be helped. On other hand, it was probably Warcraft that made me love fantasy genre as much as I do. And it certainly was Warcraft that made me read again after I read Lord of the Rings. After I read Lord of the Rings, no other book felt good enough, no other book came close to the expectations, to the standards Lord of the Rings set up. Warcraft helped in learning how not every book needs to be excellent in order to read it. Some can just be entertaining, some funny, while others just need to teach you what to avoid in future.

#WoW #10Years10Questions #Anniversary

1 comment:

  1. "I wanted to experience this wonderful world from my own perspective, not through the eyes of the heroes, but as one of the heroes. As one of those nameless soldiers that always stood by their side, and did their job without really getting any of the credit for it."

    That's exactly what I expected from the game. And part of why I'm afraid of garrisons.

    ReplyDelete